Wendy of the blog Picnic with Ants (picnicwithants.com) describes her life as “a journey learning to live a happy and productive life, while living with Chronic Illnesses.” Today for the Blog Action Day theme of inequality, she wrote this incredibly powerful piece about her experience having been involuntarily hospitalized. She concludes by asking:
- Can you see how different it would have been for me if I had the financial means to pay for a higher quality facility, and have an advocate help me?
- Can you see how different it would have been for me if I had not had the financial means I had? If I hadn’t had insurance? …
- What can we do to stop the Inequality in the Mental Health Care System?
- The first thing we can do is talk about it.
- The more attention we call to it….the more noise we make about it…they will have to do something about it!
- …this is an inequality that must end! People cannot continue to suffer because they can’t afford mental health care.